If you’re taking an active interest in natural supplements and health-promoting compounds like CBD, one thing’s for sure: you care about what you’re putting in your body.
That’s a great start.
But before you enjoy a daily supplement, you should understand what it is, why it benefits you, and of course, how it works.
CBD Gummies: A Basic Overview
CBD gummies may look and taste like a treat, but they have a lot more to offer than your average pack of candy. These gummies are made using cannabidiol (CBD) oil—the secret ingredient, if you will—which is sourced and cultivated from the cannabis Sativa plant, known more commonly as hemp.
How CBD Works
Gummies are just one of the many ways to ingest CBD, but no matter how you consume your CBD, the same fundamental process occurs.
CBD is a cannabinoid—which means that it interacts with and stimulates your endocannabinoid system (ECS)—but it’s not the only one of its kind.
For one, your body produces cannabinoids all on its own. In this case, they’re called endogenous (a fancy word for internal) cannabinoids, or endocannabinoids. These important neurotransmitters bind to your ECS receptors to maintain balance within the body, also known as homeostasis.
They’re believed to influence multiple systems and functions, including:
Cannabidiol, on the other hand, is known as an exogenous (you guessed it: a fancy word for external) cannabinoid, meaning it’s produced outside of the body—in the cannabis Sativa plant, more specifically.
These external cannabinoids don’t act in the same way as your body’s internal ones, though they do interact with the same physiological system. Rather than binding directly to the endocannabinoid receptors, CBD indirectly stimulates the system to maintain homeostasis—like an offensive lineman running interference.
How CBD Gummies Work
There are many options to choose from when it comes to ingesting CBD. For now, we’ll focus on the unique properties of CBD gummies.
Ingestible edibles that you chew and swallow—gummies, brownies, or cookies baked with CBD oil—can take the longest to come into effect of all the ingestion methods. This is because there are several steps between popping a gummy into your mouth and the moment you may start to feel some relief:
- After you chew and swallow your gummy, it moves through the entire digestive system.
- While in the digestive system, the active ingredients are absorbed into the bloodstream and transported to the liver. Due to a phenomenon called first-pass metabolism, some amount of the gummy’s potency is reduced by the liver’s enzymes.
- The remaining ingredients are metabolized, then released back into the bloodstream.
- The CBD travels through the bloodstream to the brain where it eventually interacts with the endocannabinoid system. At this point, you’ll likely notice the full effect of the compound.
The Benefits of CBD Gummies
Now that we’ve covered the how, let’s talk about the what—what you’ll get out of CBD gummies, that is.
- Easy dosing – CBD gummies come in even, clearly labeled denominations. There are no guessing games or careful measurements involved.
- Long-lasting relief – Because gummies have a slower absorption rate, they also linger in your system longer, meaning you may be able to enjoy the benefits of a morning gummy for the entire day.
- Convenient to carry – Gummies are perfect for an on-the-go lifestyle because they’re portable and discreet.
- Tastiest way to take CBD – If the delayed absorption method works with your lifestyle, there’s nothing better than a tasty treat to accompany your health-promoting supplement.
Making The Most of CBD Gummies—Morning or Night
Your daily dosing schedule will depend on your intention to try CBD gummies. Either way, it may take a few tries to get the timing right, but this is what we recommend:
- For daily relief, start by taking one CBD gummy in the morning or at night:
- If CBD gives you an energy boost, start your day with it.
- If it makes you feel drowsy and relaxed, take it in the evenings.
- For sleep-promoting effects, take one CBD + Melatonin gummy about one hour before bedtime. Everyone is different, so you can adjust your timeline based on how it affects you.
After a while, assess how you feel and consider increasing your daily dose to up to three gummies—either all at once, or spread evenly throughout the day.
Finding The Right Gummies For You
Whether you’re trying CBD for a daily energy boost or a more restful night’s sleep, there’s a gummy out there to suit your needs.
If you want your CBD to be portable, easy to take, long-lasting, and as tasty as they come, CBD gummies are bound to become your friend.
- Healthline. How Long Do Edibles Take To Kick In?
- Healthline. A Simple Guide to the Endocannabinoid System.